Friday, September 4, 2009

Saying what needs to be said

Where I work, we're fond of telling people to "speak your truth, even if your voice shakes." I have no idea whom to credit with the words, but the sentiment seems really timely today. My virtual and real worlds are filled with angry, confrontational people today. I'm going to blame it on politics because the context for the rages is the twin cyclones of Health Care and Obama Speaking to Children. The why's and how's of their vitriol are less important, though, than the lesson that's emerged for me today.

A badass speaks her mind with reason and respect but without fear.

The things I think- the things I know- are real and right and well-reasoned and I have an absolute right to say them out loud. Others may not agree (as is their absolute right) but they must must must allow me to speak. Anyone who tries to silence a badass does so at his/her own peril. A badass will bring it down hard on those who shut others down. Period.

So furious FaceBook commenters and irrational Tweeters? You said your piece. Now STFU.

No comments:

Post a Comment